Who are you, what do you do?
Born and raised in a small off-the-grid cabin located in the Adirondack foothills of New York, my current backyard is some relatively remote, and rugged Northern Rockies country. I get out as much as possible and enjoy travelling efficiently and quickly in the wilderness. Currently about to finish a degree in GIS and physical geography, I intend on applying it towards environmental conservation. I also work for the amazing Bozeman-based company, Prolite Gear.
Where do you hike mostly?
Regarding areas close to home, the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is the region that I frequent. I am a huge fan of the Beartooth Mountains, YNP, the Tetons, and also many of the local offerings, such as the Spanish Peaks in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. I enjoy the GYE for many reasons, namely accessibility to a variety of wild places throughout the four seasons. When possible, I travel nationally and internationally in an attempt to see this great big world of ours. I’m always looking to expand my horizons.
What do you take on the trail?
What comes with me is trip dependant, but I thought that I’d highlight some items over the last few years that have excelled for my particular use. I’m also a proud Hyperlite Mountain Gear ambassador that can’t speak highly enough about their company and their products.
- Pack: HMG Porter
- Shelter: Big Sky International Mirage 2P, Black Diamond Firstlight, HMG Flat Tarp
- Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering SummerLite, and HighLite
- Pad: Thermarest NeoAir no questions asked. Currently a NeoAir X-Therm is my go-to
- Clothing: Outdoor Research Helium II, Westcomb Shift Lt Hoody, Montbell ExLite Down Jacket, RAB Xenon Jacket, RAB Boreas Pull-On, Patagonia Cap 4 Hoody
- Footwear: Trailrunners are a key component of backcountry travel for me. La Sportiva usually fits me well with a narrow heel and wider forefoot. I’m on my last of about a dozen pairs of their discontinued, and venerable Fireblade. I’m still on the hunt for a suitable replacement
What would be some of your ideal kit?
I’m extremely happy with my current setup, but a full-woven Dyneema HMG Porter would be quite nice! Aside from a minor tweak here or there, I feel that we are quite lucky to have all of the great gear that is currently available on the market. Whether it is UL full size biners, carbon fiber whatever, cuben fiber whatever, or _insert the latest rad gear here_, the innovations and technology are certainly a pleasure to use.